Office 15 aka Office 2013 is rumoured to be officially announced by Steve Balmer tomorrow. Here is what I would like to see from the event:
- A clear understanding of how Office needs to evolve on mobile and non Windows devices
- A corollary of the above – how does Office live in the touch enabled world
- Office 365 – what a statement it would be for Office 365 if Balmer announced release of Office 2013 and on the release day all Office 365 customers on the right plan (E3) receive instant access
- Greater integration of the server Office products of Lync, Sharepoint and Exchange into the desktop/mobile Office client
- Can Microsoft make Office social and maintain relevance
- Finally Skype and Yammer integration, how and when.
Skype integration is confirmed with Lync 2013 – although not enabled yet I believe. Initially it will be IM and peer to peer voice but I assume this will improve over time. Yammer is interesting. Office 365 2013 seems to have a very similar feature set with ‘Newsfeed’ but Yammer did get a mention in the presentation today at the very highest level.